When installing SharePoint, you have to install prerequisites first. If you launch the SharePoint Prerequisites Installer from the SharePoint setup GUI (clicking the link), you may notice that most prerequisites (like IIS) installs correctly but there are some that wouldn’t install correctly. Some of the errors that I experienced:
- Error: Startup task doesn’t exist. This is not a continuation after a restart.
- Error: This file does not exist
- Error: The tool was unable to install Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB976462).
I searched the Web for the errors I got and it seem that a common recommendation is to simply run prerequisiteinstaller.exe from the command-line:
- Open up a command window
- Go to your SharePoint setup location (like D:\ if running from CD drive)
- Enter “prerequisiteinstaller.exe” and then press enter
- A GUI would popup but just go ahead and proceed. It should finish installation.
- Review the log file, located in %DEFAULTUSERPROFILE%\Temp and named PrerequisiteInstaller.[datetime].log. Make sure there are no errors on the latest log file.
If no more errors, proceed with SharePoint 2010 installation.