Posted by: Gabe Hilado in SharePoint on June 11th, 2010

Here are some of the other errors that I received while creating my SharePoint 2010 environment in Windows 7.

New-SPConfigurationDatabase: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.IdentityModel, Version 3.5.0.0. The Power Shell looks like the following when you’re running New-SPConfigurationDatabase to configure your SP database for the first time:

Could not load Microsoft.IdentityModel

Could not load Microsoft.IdentityModel

The fix: Install Microsoft Identity Framework to address this problem.

New-SPConfigurationDatabase: The user does not exist or is not unique. You get to the point in the New-SPConfigurationDatabase command-let that asks you for the Farm Credentials. You didn’t fully qualify the username with the domain or computer name.

New-SPConfigurationDatabase - user does not exist

New-SPConfigurationDatabase - user does not exist

New-SPConfigurationDatabase :  Unknown error (0×80005000) At line: 1 char:20. + New-SPConfigurationDatabase <<<< + CategoryInfo    : InvalidData

Unknown error when running New-SPConfigurationDatabase

Unknown error when running New-SPConfigurationDatabase

This one frustrated the heck out of me. I configured my Macbook Pro already but I was installing SharePoint 2010 on another PC(has Intel Core i7 processor) in my office when I got this message. I thought the second pass-through would be easier. I already know I must follow every-step of the SharePoint 2010 on Windows 7 Development Workstation Guide.  So, how can I possibly still mess it up?? You see, I’d get past the Passphrase question and it would process the command for a while and spit out the error message only at the very end. When I look at my SQL Server, the Config database is created but the “SharePoint Admin Content” database has not been created yet. I manually added the user-account to sysadmin group in SQL. I made the  Windows login Local Admin. I serviced-pack the SQL instance at least twice. Still the InvalidData error message like above. I uninstalled SharePoint 2010 and re-installed it. When I uninstalled the entire SharePoint 2010 (remember, I was aiming for the “Complete” installation option), I reinstalled the second time just using the “Stand-Alone” install. I was thinking, this sucks, having to use SQL Express because I’m going for Stand-Alone install. I finished the Stand-Alone installation. I go ahead and try to configure it and the psconfigui.exe (SP Product Configuration Wizard) and bam—STILL an error! But this time, the error message was more helpful—it told me that IIS 6 is not installed. I look at my installed Windows 7 features and sure enough, IIS 6 wasn’t installed yet! I was pretty sure I ran everything on the checklist and I couldn’t have missed anything. Obviously, I missed something, and this something was the required Windows Features that must be turned on. So I installed II 6 feature on my Windows 7 and the Stand-Alone configuration worked and I saw the Central Admin. If you get this Unknown error (0×80005000), check your installed Windows Features and make sure you have IIS 6 Management Console installed.

IIS 6 Management Consol turned-on

IIS 6 Management Consol turned-on

Okay, after going through the stand-alone install and was made to enable IIS6, I uninstalled SharePoint 2010, again! Why did I uninstall it? Because it was installed using Stand-Alone install which uses SQL Server Express.  This final time, I was determined to make the Complete installation (can add servers to farm) work. I installed the SharePoint 2010. I ran Power Shell and ran the New-SPConfigurationDatabase command-let and was able to create the configuration database. Yay!!!

SQL Server after successful New-SPConfigurationDatabase

SQL Server after successful New-SPConfigurationDatabase

Bookmark and Share
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “Errors when installing SharePoint 2010 in Windows 7 Development Environment”

1. Thomas says:

Gabe,

For the fix WIF, i’ve installd it but still got the identity.dll not found error?
    Can u plz help me out with this?

Thanks,

Thomas

2. Gabe Hilado says:

Hi Thomas,

If you installed Identity Framework, you can uninstall it and try re-installing it. To my knowledge, and I’ve done the SP 2010 development server installation at least twice, once the Identity Framework is installed, the “could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.IdentityModel’” error went away.

Also, I would recommend that you follow all the instructions in the following MSDN guide (do not skip a step; it can also be that you’re missing a prerequisite):

Thanks.
    -Gabe

3. feisal says:

Thanks for the post, this helped me past the Unknown error.

4. Gabe Hilado says:

You’re welcome Feisal! -Gabe

5. JJ says:

Thanks for taking the time to document this. Ran into this exact situation and after a few hours of attempts at fixing I finally stumbled onto your site. Checked the missing IIS6 boxes and it worked!

6. Gabe Hilado says:

You’re welcome JJ! – Gabe

7. Bharath says:

Thanks a lot for your post… this helped me past the Unknown error.

8. Bruce says:

I should have gone here first. You helped me stop pulling my hair from all the stupid hacks that I need to do in order to get a local developer’s SharePoint instance installed.

Thanks so much.

9. Umberto says:

Thanks a lot! You help me (after 4 days of work) to solve the “The user does not exist or is not unique.” problem…

Thanks!

10. Gabe Hilado says:

You’re welcome Umberto!
    -Gabe

11. ‘To fix this, simply make sure that the user account you are specifying for the Farm Credentials is fully-qualified with the domain-name or, if using local accounts, the computer name. Example: “macbookpro\gabe”.’

Thanks for this, solved my problem!

12. Garasul says:

Thanks for the post, you helped me solve the “The user does not exist or is not unique.” error. Little issue big impact…

13. [...] http://spdeveloper.net/2010/06/errors-when-installing-sharepoint-2010-in-windows-7-development-envir… –for possible error we could have in creating configuration database. LD_AddCustomAttr("AdOpt", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Origin", "other"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_bg", "ffffff"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_text", "414141"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_link", "6C8C37"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_border", "EDE8E2"); LD_AddCustomAttr("theme_url", "009193"); LD_AddCustomAttr("LangId", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Autotag", "technology"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "sharepoint"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "sql"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Tag", "stuffs"); LD_AddSlot("wpcom_below_post"); LD_GetBids(); Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

14. danish islam says:

Thanks man, you saved a lot of time. it really helped me.

15. Kina says:

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.
    I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will come back from now on.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have
    a nice weekend!

16. Tracy Wallace says:

Excellent post. Thanks for such comprehensive coverage. Solved my problem.